"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Gandhi




Monday, June 6, 2011

NEWS RELEASE - Same Time, Same Station

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                              
WOMAN MAKES IDIOTIC COMMENT 
CHICAGO, Ill. – June               -  “This happens every day!”  This was coming from someone who’s ignorant.  This was from a woman who complained that the 5:40 Metra train closes its doors at 5:40.  That it just sits there with the doors closed while she’s standing there fuming.  Then someone shouted that one of the other cars’ doors was open.  About five of us ran down to it, only to see them slowly closing.  I started laughing.  “They know they did that on purpose!” She yelled.  “Gotta keep those schedules, you know.  Just laugh! Whattaya gonna do?”  I asked no one in particular.  Then the ‘This happens every day’ comment hit me. 

“This happens every day?” I asked.  “Why are you late every day?  Can’t you leave a little earlier?”  Now I felt like her mother or something.  “It’s because of what I have to do,” was her explanation.  I yelled at the other four despondent travelers, “Back to the station we go!”  But think about it?  Maybe she should ask herself some questions.
  • If this happens every day, what makes me think it won’t happen tomorrow? 
  • Every day I do the exact same thing and get the same results, yet why do I expect different results?
  • Shouldn’t I change my behavior instead of expecting the train to wait for me?
I wanted to tell her, “When you keep doing something the same way and expect different results, that makes you an idiot.  No offense, of course.”

No comments:

Post a Comment